Thursday, January 06, 2011

Panic at the Disco

66/100

I dropped my computer on the floor this morning. I had a moment of sheer panic. Firstly because I can't afford to get a new computer right now... and secondly because I can't afford to get a new computer right now. I had that moment of... omg if I can't get online what will I do???

I had that exact moment in the airport over Christmas when I realized I had forgotten/lost my iPhone. I was so upset I ended up leaving my wallet in the bathroom while trying to find my phone! It was a rough day at SEA-TAC let me tell you.

Then? I got to my dad's... sans phone and I survived. It wasn't easy, and I had my computer with me so that helped... But I had time to think about my reliance on technology. I'm sure this isn't new to *anyone* that in general I spend too much time on the computer/in front of a monitor. Right now I'm dreaming about an iPad. Because I don't have *enough* technology.

I know my iPhone and my computer are addictions. I get that little hit of happiness every time I see an email or a text. My little dopamine fix every few hours. Having my technology makes me feel needed. Makes me feel important.

But the idea that everything is important...that everything has to happen RIGHT NOW is a terminal disease in my life. My best friend sent me this link today and asked if we could go here some day: http://aboututila.com/AccomInfo/Sandy-Cay/ if you read the site it says electric is solar, no radio, no real contact with the world. Only a week of the ocean and a couple good bathing suits and maybe my kindle and of course my best friend... at first I thought... no radio even? But the more I think about it, the more I look back on my past and think, even ten years ago I was a first adapter of the color palm pilot... I have been *too* into technology. It's an addiction.

I look at my students today and I realize they don't even know what it is *not* to have technology around them all the time. I live in such a different world now.


And because the Universe has such a sweet sense of humor... I got to school this morning and realized I had forgotten my phone. I started thinking... well let's see, it's a 10 minute drive home, 5 minutes to pick up my phone and 10 minutes back.. with traffic accounted for I could go home over lunch and pick it up.

Then I laughed and remembered I had started this blog this morning.

So? If you want to get a hold of me before 4? You're gonna have to figure out another way... because apparently? I'll be away from my phone for a while.

Peace,

MaryKate

No comments: