Saturday, April 30, 2011

Royal Fever? or Can I please be allowed to like pop music?

87/100

Okay I know... 3 posts in 3 days, right? *laughter*. This one is going to be short. I am just getting over my case of royal wedding fever. I am. I admit it. And I'm tired of other people feeling they need to (excuse the language) pee on my parade. I heard some people talking about how horrible this whole "royal wedding" fiasco is on Friday when I was in my office. I wasn't part of the conversation so I just listened. They went on and on about how much money it cost and how a small island in Fiji could have lived off that money for 10 years (okay I *might* be making that part up) and how we fought to get away from England, why should we give a damn about a stupid wedding??? What about the tornadoes? What about Don Trump? What about the starving children in Ethopia (okay I might be fibbing about that part as well)...

Um. At first I was embarrassed. I was quietly watching the ceremony on a break during my classes. I was practically in tears watching William turn to Kate at the altar and tell her she was beautiful. I held my breath when they kissed on the balcony. YES I DID! AND I am not ashamed.

You know what? I *love* romance. It's taken me WAY too long to admit that and I am not sticking it back in the closet because someone might think that makes me shallow. And for ONE day, I am going to be okay with princesses and princes and pomp and circumstance. And tradition. And I am going to marvel at the human being and the things that make us tick. I am going to marvel at the intricateness of being human.

The thing is, I look at that wedding with hope. Say what you will about the royals, I believe Diana made a difference in this world, and I believe Kate and William will follow in her footsteps. But setting that aside? For just one day, can't I believe in love? And romance? Can't I look at her dress and hold my breath at how beautiful and happy she looked? And grin about how beautiful her sister looked and wonder if it is *ever* a good idea to let your bridesmaids wear white? *smile* I want to laugh at the silly hats Fergie's kids wore. I want to get caught up in the whole damn princess drama. And, for one day? Yes, I'd like to forget about the tornadoes. And death. And starving people. And misery. For one day? I want to wash myself in hope and happiness and laughter. I want to watch that wedding over and over and smile *EVERY* SINGLE time.

Honestly? I already feel that joy fading a bit. I turned off the tv to clean today. But? I bought the new CD Shout it Out by Hanson for that fresh injection of pop silliness and happiness and it seems to be doing the trick. Cleaning today is actually fun as I dance around the house doing laundry and riding the end of the wedding joy to silly pop music :). I'm just in an incredibly delicious mood!

So yes... if you don't care about the wedding, okay. I respect that. Can you maybe return that favor? Can you maybe let me enjoy it and not roll your eyes at me or think I don't give a damn about the world? Because I do. And after a steady diet of Donald Trump and tornadoes and misery? I need a break.

Peace (and hope!)

MaryKate

8 comments:

Heather said...

I agree 100%...about the wedding AND pop music. :) Yes, there are horrible things in the world, and maybe the money could be used elsewhere, but I loved the wedding so much. And I cried multiple times. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. Thanks for admitting it too.

MaryKate said...

<3 Thanks for not leaving me comment-less *smile*! I see you have a blog as well! yay! I'll check it out and add it to my 'blog steam'.

Many hugs! <3 MK

Christina said...

1. i bet i know who it was who went on that wedding rant.

2. good for you for not belittling your pleasures by denying them or minimizing them as "guilty." it's brave to love the things you love. bravo!

MaryKate said...

Christina... *laughter* actually it probably wasn't who you think *smile*, although I'm guessing had I asked that person the response would have been the same ;). That aside, thank you. *hugs* <3

Kim said...

I agree! The wedding was a much needed break of all the death and destruction. I do not feel one bit guilty. I loved the wedding! It was perfect!

MaryKate said...

Kim... I agree the wedding was delish! :) Thanks for saying hello! :0

WriterMom said...

I admit to having mixed feelings about this wedding madness. I have no problem with it being a world event, and a spectacle of romance and pomp for the world-- we need a good dose of it periodically. I thought her dress was TO DIE FOR:)
BUT, what I do take issue with are the last SIX WEEKS of it slowly evolving to overtake our media 24/7. I actually was happy to see coverage of Libya on the news last night, because I was suffering from Royal Fatigue. Moderation seems to be the key.

MaryKate said...

Writer Mom... I agree with you, but I was pretty good at avoiding all the pre-wedding hype. So I guess the whole wedding thing was pretty fresh for me. I think that is a good part of why it was so lovely. :).