Friday, June 17, 2011

A Long Strange Trip...

95/100

"It's in my brain, my lungs and my liver, MK."

Those were the words I heard this morning when I called my best friend. For a moment I allowed myself some tears. Then instead of asking about prognosis (do I really need to ask that question anyhow?)  I told her I had rented an RV.

We are going camping. I hate camping. I just want to be sure y'all know that. However, I'm going to love camping like I have never loved anything before.

My bff's request is to get a big RV and drive across America. She is so excited about it. We talked a good twenty minutes about all the things we want to do. It is the way to get around the big white elephant in the room.

We're going to pack the kids, her, me, a family friend into the camper and go. C wants to go to the Grand Canyon. I told her whatever she wants? I will do my damnedest to make happen. Right now? I'm not even going to worry about cost. At this point, what is money, anyhow. My dad has been amazing and saved money for me to use as a downpayment on a house or retirement someday. I'm going to talk to him about letting me have some of it. I refuse to worry about money.

*I* want to spend the night in hotels. SHE wants to camp. Lord. The things you do for the people you love. My mom understood things well when she said, "My idea of camping is Howard Johnson's".

I want to make this happen. For her. For her kids. For me. I am selfish enough to want to spend as much time with her as I can. Sitting under the stars, talking. Because... well... yeah. I don't need to go into it. There isn't a single one of you out there, with a very very best friend... who doesn't know why.

Peace,

MaryKate

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh MK...I am so sorry you have to deal with this...But, C is blessed to have you as a friend and you will forever cherish all the time you can spend with her and her family during this trip. I can't imagine living out a real life "BEACHES" story..but, yes...I can think of my bestie and know that I too would drop everything for and do the same thing for her. Much love and prayers to you to be strong and make the most of whatever time you have left with her.

MaryKate said...

Thank you Sarah <3. I plan on making all my time as valuable and wonderful as possible. *hugs*

Crystal said...

Mk, you are amazing and fantastic and your heart is as big as the ocean. What a priceless gift to give your friend, and yourself. I'm sorry that you both have to go through this. I am cheering you both on all the way. I'm sending SO much love your way. *HUGS* xoxo

MaryKate said...

Thanks Crystal. *hugs* Your prayers are of course welcome... and I can feel your love all the way down here...<3

Heather said...

MaryKate, I'm so sorry. Even though we've never met, my heart goes out to you and your bff. And you're right, anyone with a best friend knows exactly why you're going camping (and I agree with you & your mom - HoJo is my idea of camping too!). Sending you both prayers and virtual hugs.

MaryKate said...

Heather, thank you for your comment. Hey... hug your bff for me *smile* It will mean the world to both of you...

<3 thanks for taking the time to post...

MK

Gecko said...

You are good peoples.....nuff said

Where's the "off" switch? said...

Sweetheart, as you know I am late to this....but my heart goes out to you and your beautiful bff.

Your compassion and your big-heartedness overwhelms me time and time again, you are simply incredible and your devotion and selflessness speaks volumes.

I may be hundreds of miles away, physically, but that is just geography, for emotionally I am right there with you, every step of the journey and will always be.

May your God bless you both, and look down on you with a smile.

Love you <3

MaryKate said...

Gecko... *hugs* thank you... And C? I know you are far away, but you are in my heart as if you were here. <3