Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Comfort is as comfort does...

10/100


I don't feel well. I spent the day today doing something enjoyable - meeting with new parents and getting to know some of my upcoming students, but really? I kinda wanted to just spend the day sleeping - my whole body hurts and either my bed or my 'comfy chair' sounded wonderful.

I have resorted to comfort food today. Essentially I had the same breakfast as dinner... and for lunch? I had Pho. Really good Pho actually.

In general, comfort food is not considered healthy. And in the past? My comfort food included pizza or something deep fried. Today, I knew I wanted something comforting and did some processing of exactly what that meant to me. It meant warm, soft, but this time? It also meant healthy. Or at least 'healthyish'.

So instead of Taco Bell for lunch or a burrito for dinner, I had softboiled eggs and toast. I had it for breakfast and I had it for dinner. And when I went out to lunch? I chose something healthy and low in fat - Pho. I realized I didn't have to deny myself 'comfort', but instead could choose something 'comforting' that wasn't food I would regret eating tomorrow when I feel better. I also had an english muffin with homemade raspberry jelly I made which is low in sugar. I'm full, I'm happy and I know I ate well.

So often I have thought 'healthy' and 'diet' and NOT EATING ANYTHING GOOD were all the same thing.

They aren't. And it is possible to be healthy and still give myself some comfort :).

Peace,
MaryKate

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Denying ourselves takes us down the wrong path. We are all looking for contentment and authenticity. I wouldn't be "me" if I couldn't have chocolate every now and then.

MaryKate said...

I want to be able to eat in a way that allows me to enjoy my life, but respects my body when my body says "enough". I really do hear it, I just have to work on LISTENING better! ;)