Sunday, August 29, 2010


Tasty Pork Tacos

14/100

Today's blog is a Big Green Egg birthday BBQ dinner :) Very healthy and while it took about 20 hours? It was sooo worth it.

 It started with a Pork Butt (actually, it's the butt of the pig shoulder)...

Now, you'll see this is armour pig shoulder? I bought it because it was on sale for 1.99 a pound. However, after thinking about it, I don't think I'll buy Hormel again. I'd much rather support local, sustainable farming, not the industrial farming Hormel represents. But the Butt Rub? Fan. Tas. Tic. I really like that it has no sugar.


I used the place setter in my big green egg with the metal pan to catch the drip pan.


                                      
I set the grill at 220 - 250 and cooked the pork until it reached an internal temperature of 200- apx. 20 hours. I have an incredible new thermometer that measures *both* the temperature of the egg *and* the temp of the food! AND???? IT'S REMOTE! So I can sit in my living room and look at the temp of the egg and the food without leaving my comfy chair! *laughter* woohoo!


This is a pic of the Princess and the Horses watching the green egg and the smoke and wondering what is going on!





I didn't take a photo of the finished product (I forgot) but here is the result: pulled pork with just the right amount of seasoning:


I also threw some sweet onion and yellow peppers onto the grill while it cooled (omg sooo yummy). I put a little saffola oil on them and some Butt Rub:



I made pico de gallo (tomatoes, cilantro, lime, jalapenos and onions), guacamole (avocados, lime, garlic salt, pepper, some salsa, cilantro, mashed together) and made spanish rice in my rice cooker (sushi rice and a can of Mexican tomatoes with mild chilis and cilantro and some cumin )



Dessert was chocolate mousse with fresh raspberries:
1 box of silk tofu
1/4 c agave
1c coconut milk
1 bar organic chocolate (no dairy)
1 bar Ghirardelli dark chocolate
3/4 c dairy free chocolate chips
1T vanilla
Melt chocolate in a pan slowly with coconut milk and vanilla until it turns shiny. Place the tofu into a large food processor and blend it until it becomes smooth. To help the blending you can add the agave (or maple syrup or honey if you prefer). Once the chocolate melts, turn the food processor back on and slowly add the chocolate to the tofu mixture. Mixture will look like pudding. Place into the refrigerator and allow to set up for several hours or overnight. Serve with raspberries a spring of mint and whip cream if you like. 
 

Wonderful, tasty and healthy! 

Peace,

MaryKate

No comments: