Monday, August 16, 2010

And? We're Off...
1/100


It took me three days to try to find a 'witty' title for this blog. I had about twenty names here are the final top ten:

  • Over weight, on to healthy (funny, yes? yeah I didn't think so either)
  • 100 days, 100 ways to being healthy (too long)
  • Weight weight don't tell me (NPR anyone?)
  • Weigh down to the heart of it (does that need explanation as to why it didn't win?)
  • Feed the heart not the hole (my sister suggested that one... it had double and triple entendres which seriously took it out of the running)
  • 40 not fatty (clever but yeah... not so much)
  • 42, eyes of blue, why do I weigh 282? (hahah that one still makes me laugh)
  • Leaving the fat behind (which was a *really* close second)
  • Fit x 44 (Fit by 44 - which sounded like an SUV)
  • Recipes of a newly fit girl (which every time I read it read "recipes of a newly fat girl... which seriously missed the point)
'My Weigh Out' won. I chose it because finding myself? Has been one seriously long journey. I'm 42, and still seeking. My highest weight was this January. I weighed 315. At the peak of my unhappiness I peaked on the scale. Trying to navigate a crumbling, emotionally vacant marriage I sought comfort and closeness in familiar habits. I couldn't get closeness from my husband? No problem. Something deep fried *always* fixed that - except when it didn't. Which was happening more and more often. But seriously, we all know that story. Those who struggle with weight. Who struggle with self esteem. Who struggle with being present. 

I got a divorce, started to dig myself out of past habits and starting getting my life together. I stopped trying to be perfect and started being present. After spending the summer at home with my 83 year old dad, I worked through some issues that were the foundations of my poor relationship with food  (the reasons I eat are legion, and few of them are actually good) but since January, I've shed about 30 pounds and find myself around 285 right now.

Then I got back to the fine Pacific Northwest, got on the scale and realized my weight loss had stalled. And I thought... what can I do? How can I hold myself accountable and move forward in this journey?  The answer was to do what a million other people are doing. Write a blog. One about me and how I'm spending the next 100 days being healthy. Not being perfect. That's my goal. I'll share some recipes I'm trying, I'll share some ideas I have about reconnecting with my spirit, and I'll share my physical journey the best I know how. 

Join me... tell me what you think you could do in 100 days to improve your life. I'm interested in hearing about it. Read along... comment... lurk :). Mostly I'm writing this to keep myself accountable. But if you think you might enjoy coming along, I'd appreciate the company.

Peace,
MaryKate

3 comments:

DeAnn said...

Mary Kate I'm so proud of you. Making this kind of commitment to oneself can challenge in more ways than we know and yet, as you say, you are not trying to be perfect, only healthier in spirit, mind and body so I suspect that whatever you achieve in the next 100 days it will be good. You will find you've encouraged many along the way! Bless you as you endeavor in this.

Crystal said...

I'm looking forward to following you on your journey, MK. :)

MaryKate said...

Thanks you guys! <3 you both for being the first to comment :). It's funny... I really am doing this for me, but when people comment, it's nice to know that sharing my experience is valuable for others as well... *hugs*