Saturday, August 21, 2010

Recipe Time - Fish en Papillote

6/100


I ate dinner out last night with a wonderful friend and my sister. I found it really difficult to eat well, to know what was in the food and to be healthy. So, tonight I had some friends over and made Fish en Papillote. This blog is photo heavy, but worth it I think :)

To make this you'll need:

Parchment paper
Fillet of Sole (I used 8 to make 4 pouches)
8 crab legs
8 shrimp
Earth balance spread (I used the non-soy kind but butter is fine)
2 lemons
sliced shallots
Mrs. Dash garlic blend
One jar of Trader Joe's grilled peppers (you can use any brand or grill your own peppers)
white wine (I used an ohio blend of Haut Sauterne)
Marinated artichoke hearts
Asparagus (the thinner the better)
parsley

I cleaned the crab legs and saved the shell (I boiled it to make crab bisque later!) and cleaned the shrimp (mine was already cooked - I just pulled off the shells and added it to the water with the crab shells)

I tore a sheet of parchment paper (I just guessed on the size...)
Here you see all the items ready for me to use:
Place the fish in the center of the parchment

Melt 1/2 stick of margarine (or about 1/3 cup) and add 1T of lemon a little salt and pepper and 1/4c of white wine. Place 2 shrimp, crab, shallots, and two slices of pepper on top of the fish. Put 1T of sauce over top and sprinkle with Mrs. Dash. Place asparagus, 2-3 marinated artichoke hearts and parsley around the fish.

Place a second piece of fish on top and put another Tablespoon of the butter/wine mixture on top, 1T of butter on top of the asparagus, a couple more slices of the pepper. Sprinkle more Mrs. Dash on the fish and slice some lemon and place it on the fish. You may want to crack some pepper and a little salt over top.


Fold the parchment diagonally over the fish and start to fold the corners over top of each other (almost like rolling the parchment:



Keep folding the edges around until you get to the end. I just folded the end under the pocket.


Okay, do the other packets just the same:



Heat the oven to 375F and put the packages on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes until the packets puff up and turn a little bit brown. I also made wild rice with a little chicken broth to eat along with the packets.


And this is the final product! It was so wonderfully tasty and not very high in calories. It was easy to monitor how much salt and other ingredients went into the dinner.

I added a wonderful glass of wine to the dinner (the same I used in the fish) and we ate every bit of it up! The rice soaking up the broth from the packet was pretty amazing!

So happy birthday Quynh! I enjoyed making a healthy dish in order to celebrate! 

Peace,
MaryKate

2 comments:

Brian in Cleveland said...

This sounds amazing MK, bless your sole ;-) Did you bring the wine with you from Ohio?

MaryKate said...

I did Brian and it is/was delish :D