Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tripping the Pet-fantastic
4/100

This morning while making my breakfast, I looked out the window and the color of a stump for a moment reminded me of my cat. Not my current cat, but the cat who first stole my heart - Rubio. The moment passed quickly and I realized what I had done and chuckled to myself. I remembered the day he was born. I had just graduated from college and was about to head to grad school. His mother had been a stray that had wormed her fat bellied, yellow-eyed, squishy-faced mug into my life. I had named her Mukata (meaning 'owl' in some obscure language as I recall...). One day, when I walked into my tiny apartment, Mookie was giving birth in the corner next to the couch. The floor was bloody and she was crying out, I didn't realize what was wrong until I walked over and saw all the kittens. I named them after Shakespeare characters, Romeo (he was adorable), Desdemonda (she was gray with marbled circles on her), Hamlet (who was always confused) and Rubio (who wasn't named after a Shakespeare character, but a cute boy I met in Mexico...)

Mookie's end was tragic... she accidentally drown chasing a raccoon into a pool she couldn't jump out of. The reason I bring it up? Is because of my mother's response. My mother who seldom cried, seldom expressed overt tenderness? Had deeply connected with Mookie. My mom would sit and do puzzles for hours. Mookie would sit on the table with her, keeping her company. She'd sleep above my mom's head on the couch and never demand more of my mother, than my mother was physically or emotionally able to give. When Mookie died, my mother looked at me and said, "Don't ever bring another animal into this house." And I knew, beyond a doubt how deeply my mother was grieving the loss of her pet.

I still miss Rubio. And even though I now have the "Princess" and love her tremendously... there is a place in my heart where Rubio lives and will always live.

I'm not going to make a blanket statement here, but oh wait... yes I am. Pets change lives. Or, pets can change lives. One of the healthiest things I did after my divorce, was get a pet. When I got married I gave up the cat I had adopted at the time. Due to allergies and such, I certainly (although foolishly) did it willingly thinking it would be no big deal to me. But it turned out to be one of those 'painful learning experiences' I've had a few of...  I felt lonely and like something important was missing in my life. Even when my marriage was going well, I wanted a dog or an 'allergy free cat' or *something*. And while I didn't end up getting one, I realize now how deeply pets matter to me. They connect me to my heart and speak deeply to the ability for me to be devoted. They are such bundles of drama, but they are also bundles of warm snuggles on the couch, purrs in the evening, and alarm clocks in the morning. I adore the new addition to my family and I realize how devoted I have become to my little 4 legged monster. This morning, and well... every morning she gets under my feet. Tripping me all the way to the kitchen... for her? love = food. I have a pet with weight issues. This does not surprise me. *chuckle*

Pets give us the opportunity to love. To fill our lives. To connect on a deep level with another being. We don't have to understand their language (although I am CLEAR what the 'I'm hungry' meow sounds like) but we connect with them anyhow.I remember the first cat we had in our family. My father, from the depth of his lungs scolded us "There will be NO cat in this house it is an OUTSIDE cat!" It took two weeks for that cat to be following him everywhere and sleeping on his lap at night. Pets? Are just like that I suppose.

From my kitchen window I can see horses at the farm next door. These horses are show horses. They are absolutely magnificent. And I see the people that pet them, and love them and I think about so many of my students who show horses. Their admiration for their animals truly goes beyond 'pet' and into the realm of 'partner'. They learn to read each other's language: horse to man, man to horse. It is a beautiful and graceful dance they do together.

For so long, I used food to fulfill an empty space in my soul. And while I'd love to say getting a pet will help you lose weight, I don't know that's true. But having a pet that I love and that loves me? Makes walking away from that brownie, just a wee bit easier...

So give your pet a hug today if you have one... if you don't? Consider adopting a pet  from the shelter or pound, I did. If you have room in your life, giving a pet a forever home? Is a gift that can and likely will change your life... I know it changed mine.


Peace,
MaryKate

2 comments:

Brian in Cleveland said...

Oh, I remember Rubio but never heard the story how he was born. No wonder you bonded so strongly!

MaryKate said...

yeah :). I walked in the moment Rubio was being born! He was the runt. I used to pull the other kittens off so he could feed. I was connected to him the moment I saw his little furry face...