Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Come a little bit closer
Hear what I have to say...

37/100

I love Neil Young and this video. Saw him in concert not too long ago. He was amazing... and this seems like a fine song for this Autumnal Equinox. Although I have to say, I'm not still 'inlove' with anyone like the lament in the song :). I think I have finally kicked that habit of looking backwards. So tonight, it's officially time to put summer and the stories and dreams of summer to rest. I have a fresh loaf of spelt bread cooking in the kitchen to celebrate.  I turned off the tv in an homage to the silence, then put on some Neil Young.

I've been reading the Salmon Mysteries: A Guidebook to a Reimagining of the Eleusinian Mysteries  . It was written by one of my favorite authors Kim Antieau. She's written many books, but the one closest to my heart is  The Jig Saw Woman. It's intense and in some parts a bit confronting, but absolutely fantastic. Her latest book, The Salmon Mysteries is a guide book to reconnecting to the feminine cycle of the seasons. It is compelling and reminds me about (while giving me ways to connect with) that spiritual, profound and sacred space inside of myself. If you are drawn to the feminine, I think you'll love this book.

Demeter's search for Persephone, her daughter lost in the underworld, inspired the Eleusinian Mysteries, a nine day celebration so powerful and awe-inspiring much of it remains a secret to this day. Now, in a radical reimagining of this potent and ancient story, renowned novelist and mythologist Kim Antieau updates the tale for modern sensibilities through the life cycle of a most remarkable creature: the salmon. Salmon live in two worlds: salt water and fresh water. They are shapeshifters, transformers, and finally, pilgrims searching for home. Relying on ancient sources and modern speculation, Antieau writes about what happened during the nine day celebration of the Eleusinian Mysteries and offers a template for creating your own mysteries to celebrate and honor the cycles of Nature, your community, and your life. The Salmon Mysteries is mystical inspiration and a practical tool for transforming your life and your community.

So tonight, I'm hoping to spend some time with the suggestions and activities she outlines in the book. I downloaded it on my Kindle and read most of it at dinner. Maybe I'll do some singing, some dreaming and go swimming in the morning to finish my 'celebration' of the equinox.

I love this time of year. It's such a good time to let the overworked soil lay fallow for a while. We all need rest. Lately I feel like I can't seem to get enough rest. Perhaps I'll honor that tonight as well and try to get to sleep before 10:30.  Another good thing to do tonight is 'plant' some seeds that germinate over the winter. While everything *seems* like it is dead, under the ground, it is waiting... and getting ready for the big unveil. That is how I feel with being healthy and losing weight. I feel like I am working on the big unveil.

I'm not fighting my body like I used to. It has felt wonderful. I'm trying to go with the tao of my heart and spirit. It wasn't time for exercise before. Now? It feels like it is. I even think I know what form that is going to take. But instead of talking about it, I'm going to do it.

In the meantime, happy equinox tonight everyone. If you can see the moon in your part of the world, enjoy the full harvest glow. I'm thinking about lighting a fire, curling up with my Kindle, finishing the Salmon mysteries and heading to bed. I'm waking up to fresh spelt bread in the morning!

I feel like I have done a lot of putting things to rest lately. I'm ready to enjoy Autumn in all it's apple'y', chilly, rainy, beauty. I'm going to take a drive to see the leaves at some point and just enjoy the season. I'm excited for winter this year, but I'm feeling a strong urge to truly enjoy the Fall and all the holidays and joys of this season. When Winter comes blustering in, I'll be ready. But I'm learning to enjoy the moment. And this moment? Smells of cider and warm bread baking in the kitchen.

Peace,

MaryKate

No comments: