Friday, September 03, 2010

'Wii Fit' Fatty

19/100

I finally got my borrowed 'Wii' and 'Wii Fit' game working. It only took a new tv and an hour programming said tv then figuring the setup of the Wii to get going. Sure, I could have read the directions, but where's the fun in THAT? The joy of discovery was ever so much more challenging. One day? I'll read the instructions. No, really. I will.

Really.

Anyhow, I got the Wii Fit working and had to fill in the 'info' about my little Wii named "Kaat". Otherwise known as a "Mii". I entered in the information and gave her the right hair color, hair cut, proper favorite color, height, eyes (blue of course). And then the first 'hurdle'. I had to select my body size. I ended up opting for the 'chunky' one. It just seemed more me. I thought about making my Mii skinny, but I can adjust it and when I saw her it made me laugh... so? Chunky monkey Mii was the winner.

Then? I got on the Wii Fit. Same thing except this time? I started with a cute little Mii then the software did its thing, weighed me and my cute little Mii? Fattened up right before my eyes. I wish I could insert a sound clip here... you know the one? The sound starts low and then get higher and higher pitched - like a siren on an ambulance?

So there I stood, on my Wii fit platform staring at my puffy Mii with a big red flashing "OBESE" sign next to her little head. For whatever reason? That disturbed me. It was okay if I chose to make my little Mii fat, but to puff up my Mii in the Wii Fit game and then flash over and over OBESE OBESE OBESE kinda irritated me. However, I was determined.

On to the the body test. My goal was to keep my balance on the board while a small line on the screen was to remain between two thin blue shaded areas - all the while the machine was counting down and restarting if you fell out of balance. Hello, the third test? I didn't even make it past because I couldn't figure out which way to 'lean'. Needless to say my Wii 'age' is now 54. Niiiice. Considering I had zero idea what I was doing? I ought to be 21 again in no time.

Next was my first activity. I knew at 10pm at night I would be skipping the yoga and heading for the activies section. I opted for the 'head butting soccer balls' game.Um. If you know anything about this activity? The game also throws soccer shoes and panda heads (?) at you while you try to miss those and hit the soccer balls. Let's just say I got smacked in the face with way more shoes and panda heads than I ever hit stupid soccer balls.  But getting smacked around by shoes was the least of my concerns. Apparently, at the end of the round? My little Mii practically started weeping on the ground because I sucked so bad. No joke. She bent over huffing and puffing and practically refused to play along any more. I expect to see her picketing when I get home.

The downhill skiing was less of a disaster, but still I had to face my hunched over, huffing and puffing, borderline despondent Mii at the end of my runs. Clearly seeing your Mii weeping over your pathetic performance? Is MOTIVATING, right? At least when I tried ski jumping I am an 'amateur'. How hard is that though? To 'jump' you hunch over and straighten your legs at the 'right' moment. I'm not even going to take you where my mind just went, but I had no problem standing up from a squatting position. (NEVER jump on the Wii platform! the game warns. There was no way on this planet I would be jumping on that postage-stamp-sized piece of plastic in the first place, so no problem on my part.  I did, however, appreciate the 'headsup' that I wasn't expected to attempt such a maneuver)

Overall, I will say I am clearly out of shape for the Wii, but I'm hooked enough to keep trying. I can't leave little Kaat all weeping every time I try to butt soccer balls or ski downhill. Usually I'm upset when I do terrible at a video game, but hey, no one knows how terrible I am. Um... well... you know what I mean. I can do these exercises to supplement the ones I am doing in the pool and tredmill. This week was the first week of school and I didn't get the exercise done that I wanted to. Plus I had a minimeltdown setting up the Wii. ;). I'm looking forward to adding the Wii game to my weekly exercise.

I'll let you know how it goes once I forge into yoga and some of the other activities. It was 9:45pm last night when I started - not the optimal time for Wii exercise. My goal is to do some form of exercise in the morning before work.

I'll let you know how my little Mii is progressing in a month or so. Oh, and if you want to come over and make your own little Mii? Lemme know. Kaat is a little lonely being the only Mii at the Alamo.

Peace,

MaryKate

5 comments:

Crystal said...

Take the Wii Fit comments and weight information with a grain of salt though- Kevin actually weighed MORE after working out one night with it! LOL. :)

You're doing great MK, I'm loving your blog. xoxo

MaryKate said...

I didn't take it seriously or too personally. I *did* however find it slightly amusing. I love that Kevin weighed more. FAN. TAS. TIC. Clearly all that muscle he put on. *giggle*

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHA. Wiifit is really funny. My (now) husband has it, and the first time I used it I was completely confused. I couldn't figure out what it wanted me to do. But I will say I really enjoy the yoga parts. I love yoga in general, but adding in being able to see how still and balanced you are? UHH-MAZING. Totally worth it. Love it!

Unknown said...

I've always wondered..."Why panda heads"? Now that's something to discover. In the meantime, although it's been a while, because I don't really use it in summer, I do use Wii to supplement 'real' exercise. If you think the crying is cute, wait til you see the victory cheers!!
Have fun!
traci

MaryKate said...

Leanna - I'm glad you are liking it! On of the women I work with uses it as well and she loves it! (another English teacher ;) )

Traci - I am truly stumped on the panda heads... *chuckle* however, I notice they have amazing aim. I am striving for those victory cheers, hopefully soon before I log on and my little 'Mii' has a boycott sign while she marches around! ;)