Thursday, September 23, 2010

Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold...

38/100

It's cool in my life how easily people slip in and out of my world. I have people in my life that are *always* there and I rely on them just like they rely on me. In general however, I try hard not to hold on to people too closely. This summer I was fortunate to reconnect with several people from my past that I care about deeply. Yet within ten minutes, even though over a decade (or more in some cases) had passed, it was like coming home.

I had this thought over the summer. I realized that each person I've met and loved, I've left a small piece of myself with - just as they've left a small piece of themselves with me. Seeing an old friend again is like reconnecting with a part of myself that has been on a journey with another. Getting to listen to where that part has gone, is delightful. It is renewing, affirming and such a treat to hear and see how people have grown, changed and still, in some key wonderful ways, stayed the same.

Then there are people that I know tangentially that with a simple invitation, go from 'acquaintance' to 'friend'. I had a friend over for dinner tonight. Before tonight? A great person I worked with. After tonight? A great friend I have connected with :). I like how life is fluid like that. How a simple invitation for dinner can deepen a connection. It was delightful and I felt like my life is more enriched just from sharing dinner.

I was remembering the people I knew from high school today while sitting at my desk. I was smiling and thinking about the people I have reconnected with both on facebook and over the summer. I realized I have my memories of high school (not so much so great) but by reconnecting to people I knew in high school, my small perceptions have widened and I've gained a more complete understanding of the struggles others were going through - just like I was. It's funny how often I still dream about people from high school. Old flames I loved, old friends I loved, others I really wanted to be, others I really wanted to just 'like' me let alone 'love' me (chuckle) and a few I admired from afar without ever telling. And I can look at that time in my life now and be much gentler with myself, with them and with the trials and tribulations of being in high school.

I don't even think I really knew what it meant to be a friend or have a friend until I got to college. Growing up I desperately wanted that 'one best friend' I could always rely on and trust. It took me a long time to find that friend, but I did and I love her and talk to her every single day, even though we live 2400 miles apart. I am also fortunate that the closest person to me in the world I have known for 41 years... she's a pretty amazing woman and without her I know I wouldn't be half the wise, spiritual, loving and compassionate person that I am. I have learned most of that from her. <3.

And with that thought, I am going to bed. I know friendship supports me and moves me forward in my life and for all the lives that have touched mine and for the few lives I've touched? I will say a little 'thank you' to you all before I go to bed tonight. You have made me who I am, and you know? I turned out pretty darned good - and so did you!

Peace,

MaryKate

No comments: