Tuesday, October 26, 2010

For a society where obesity is rampant, it sure is hard being fat...

61/100

Okay, I was so incensed by this article I *had* to post a blog on it. Marie Claire Magazine *paid* someone to write this article about the show "Mike and Molly" on tv. If you don't know, Mike and Molly are two fat people that meet at an overeater's anonymous meeting. The tv show is about their growing relationship. This article is about whether or not it is 'gross' to see fat people kissing on tv:

http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/dating-blog/overweight-couples-on-television

What shocks me is not about how biased and out and out *mean* it is about fat people; what shocks me is how it got past an EDITOR. Really?

My 'favorite' line is:

So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine addict slumping in a chair.


This got by an editor? An editor with a brain? An editor who gives a DAMN about her publication? I can't decide if this is a publicity stunt or not. What I can decide? Is not to purchase this magazine. *EDIT: It seems she has written an apology at the end of the article. Good for her for apologizing. It does not, however, excuse the editor that let this get published in the first place.

What concerns me is our society's out and out hatred of fat people. The only thing I can think of that is worse than being gay is being fat. Heaven forbid you are gay *and* fat. It's like society needs a scapegoat, so it is anyone who is different that can 'change' themselves. This pervasive attitude that if you are gay or fat you can DO something about it if you weren't so lazy or wanting of attention. That you are disgusting if you are fat because clearly there is NO reason for it. It's one of the hardest parts of online dating. If you have no hair or you have no teeth, that isn't *your* fault, but if you are fat? People actually put in their profiles "no fatties, don't bother to even send me a hello". I understand preferences - I have them, you have them, we all do when we are looking for a partner... *deep breath*

I'm so frustrated.

Luckily, a student came in and I had to take a breath for a moment. Coming back to this blog post I think what disturbs me most is that even with all the high levels of bias I felt growing up, the bullying and cruelty I faced for being fat, I don't remember it being as bad as it is today. I wonder about our society. I wonder at its high levels of anger and rage. The hatred of different religions, Atheism, politics (like this Rand Paul supporter that stood on a woman protester's HEAD) fat people, gay people, teens hating and humiliating other teens, really the cruelty toward people of difference in our society. We have children killing themselves because of the cruelty and bullying they receive every single day. I was made fun of all through high school for being fat. I have made a successful life for myself, but I still see and experience the cruelty from people who aren't willing to get to know me because of my size.

Another deep breath. My question becomes, in order to live a 'noble' life, should I be tolerant of their intolerance? Isn't that sort of my creed? That people should be allowed to believe as they believe? I don't know. What I do know, is that their hatred and finger pointing isn't helping or solving any situation out there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable!

Crystal said...

I left a scathing comment on the website saying that both the author and the magazine demonstrated extremely poor judgement and should be ashamed of themselves. I'm sorry MK. People can be so self-involved and inconsiderate. Thank you for bringing this article to my attention. *HUGS*

MaryKate said...

Thanks Crystal :) <3. I am just so surprised that the editor let them publish something like that. Reading the responses though, I'm pretty sure that editor has a better idea NOW