Saturday, October 16, 2010

Gettin' their hate on...

58/100

In my classes this year, I've noticed some kids who *really* seem to have a hatred for Christians. It upsets me. While I don't know that I would put myself in the 'Christian' camp, I have a fondness for their campfire stories. I also like the Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Tao and Judaic campfire tales. In fact, for the most part, I'm pretty open to the parables and narratives from just about any campfire. Heck, even though I may not be able to fathom the belief in some of the tales out there, I can appreciate the right of someone to believe what speaks to his or her heart. I also recognize that to many, the foundations of their beliefs are not mere 'stories'. I do not think I will ever see it otherwise, but my saying that isn't meant to demean another's belief. If your belief is that the written word is absolute truth, I can respect that about you. My caveat is that you don't try to force me to hold that same belief.

What I don't get is the 'hate on' some people today have for Christians. I think a lot of this new crop of hatred comes from fundamental Atheists led by Dawkins and other 'militant' believers. Calling an atheist a believer may seem like an oxymoron, but it isn't. People who follow some of these dogmatic 'leaders' that decry any "Faith" as 'drivel that serves absolutely no purpose' are as dogmatic as really any other fundamental religion. These people scream out the Bible is a 'fairy tale and a BAD one that has practically destroyed mankind' and are so enraged they almost scare me as much as the people they scream about. They have put their 'faith' in the 'rational'. Yet they turn around and are as rude, righteous and narrow-minded as they claim those they rail against are. I wonder if it is *really* Christianity these people are so angry with.

I think what people are truly angry about is the demand that there is only ONE RIGHT WAY. These Atheists think that the Christian religion has forced its patriarchal structure and "one right way' beliefs on humanity for too long. I get that. And I understand the frustration people feel when they are told "Jesus is the ONLY way and if you don't believe it you are condemned to hell and your life is worth nothing." Or, the idea that because you don't share their faith it's okay to destroy the Qua-ran because you aren't "God's chosen people." But just like it is only a *small* portion of Christian extremists that want to burn books, it is a small amount of Islamic extremists that want to fly planes into buildings. And, true to that analogy, it is only a small percentage of Atheists that are 'militant' and want to end *all* religion. Intolerance is intolerance.

The irony to me, is that these 'angry Atheists' are as narrow-minded as the very people they are screaming about. It amazes me that they don't see it. But then, how often do we really want to hear or listen to someone who is so opposed to us? When having a debate for example over Murry or Rossi... can you have a civil discussion? The political ads certainly aren't fair and balanced. Is that where we are now as a society? That we accept hate as a good way of communicating our thoughts?

I believe faith serves an important function in our lives. I know it does in mine. Faith allows me to feel connected to something larger than myself. It allows me to recognize my universal connection to all things. By recognizing we're all *one* family, and recognizing we aren't the owners of this planet but just one of  billions of lifeforms inhabiting this planet - faith really does bring us together.

I won't lie, I still struggle with how some people believe. And I accept that I am, perhaps, a bit naive. I know for me, that in order to be healthy, I have to continue working on being accepting of another's belief even if that person holds beliefs I fundamentally disagree with.

I will hold your right to believe as you believes to my grave. Along with your right to believe as you so choose, I still hold true that your belief ends where mine begins.

Peace,

Marykate

2 comments:

Michael said...

Frankly, in all the online 'debates' I've had regarding any issues of religion or faith, the only type of person I've found more annoying than evangelical Christians is evangelical atheist, especially when they refuse to accept that religion is the expression of cultural values and beliefs, not the source of them (thus leading them to chase a red herring instead of looking at the REAL cause of any social problem).

MaryKate said...

It's interesting because I'd say one of the most militant atheists I know is an *incredible* humanitarian. He is more humanitarian than a considerable amount of people of other religious faiths. He is the first one to offer help, he is a true 'doer' and he deeply cares about humanity. He is one of the most intelligent and well educated liberals I have ever met. I think, to some extent, his belief is that religion gets in the way of being a community. I find it interesting that he is one of the best 'christians' I know in the sense that he cares for the hungry, helps the needy and tries to make life better for all people on the planet. It's ironic because he's actually 'jewish' by birth. Anyhow, I say all this because in the end, I think that you can't lump all evangelical atheists into one group either.