Monday, October 18, 2010

Love is...
(liking yourself...)

60/100

My parents had these glasses when I was a kid. Actually, my dad still has them. (This sample glass is being sold on a website for $12. My dad has a set of 6 I think.) The glasses are from 1974 and feature a little naked boy and girl with a variety of "love is..." sayings. I think the saying on this glass is "Love is... telling him how much his golf game has improved!" This photo makes it look like it says, "Love is... telling him how much his game has improved!" I kinda like that second one better.

Love in my life lately has been complicated. I thought tonight I'd do my own little "love is..." list.

Love is... knowing when to hold on and when to let go.
Love is... knowing you can cry and knowing it's okay.
Love is... making the healthy choice.
Love is... fitting your 'baggage' in nothing more than the overhead compartment.
Love is... trusting yourself.

*Love is... liking yourself.

I think I get the first four, but the last one? The trust one? Trust just doesn't come easy in my life. I trust my sister. I know I am safe in her presence (after "love is... thicker than water" what does that song MEAN???) But I'm not sure I trust myself, how do you trust someone else when you struggle to trust yourself? I especially doubt myself after ending a relationship. It takes me a while to dust off and pull myself together.

I've spent the last HOUR looking through photos of myself. I didn't like a *single* one of them. I'm adding 'liking yourself' to my list. Because I think that is where it starts. And liking myself isn't hating every single photo ever taken of me. I have a lot of confidence in myself and in how well I do my job... but in how I look? Well... I've just never felt confident in that.

In the end, this blog is about being healthy. And that starts not just with healthy food and healthy exercise... it also has to do with healthy self image. I'm not sure I've ever had a super healthy image of myself, but I'm learning! *chuckle*

Peace,

MaryKate

1 comment:

Crystal said...

My parents had something with the "Love is" kids on them. A little book maybe? I can't quite remember what it was.