Friday, October 01, 2010

It's apple butter time!!!!!

46/100

I'm going to put up my apple butter recipe tonight. I had a few people ask for  it today. I don't have any apples at this time to actually *make* apple butter... sooo when I do this fall this is the recipe I will use. And yes... most of you will get apple butter for holidays because I jar it! Oh and once I *do* make apple butter? I'll add some photos to my blog!

I use a pretty low sugar recipe, so you might want to add more sugar to your liking. I also use agave sweetener - you can use sugar instead if you don't like agave. Also? You can use store bought jars of applesauce. Organic, non-sweetened is what I recommend. You'll need enough to fill up to one inch of the top of the crock pot, then you'll want to add more later once it starts to cook down. I have no idea how many because I only use apples, but I'd say, depending on how much apple butter you want to make? At *least* seven quart jars.

You'll need:
a canning pot (even if you don't plan on canning this - it's to boil apples)
a 6 qt crock pot (I have this one but honestly? I don't love it)
good pumpkin pie spice (it's my secret. I can't believe I am telling you! *grin*)
apple cider vinegar
cinnamon
brown sugar (use the best organic whole brown sugar you can find. It makes a huge difference)
whole sugar (I use turbinado)
agave syrup
food mill
sweet apples! here is a great chart on apples click it to make it bigger

You can pick apples, or buy seconds or even thirds from the growers. You're going to be boiling them then straining them, how they look is unimportant. HOWEVER if you can? DO NOT BUY APPLES WITH WAX on them. It just... is icky when you are boiling them and the wax stays in the water blah blah blah. avoid it.

To make applesauce:
You do *not* have to peel your apples first. Slice them into quarters or use an apple slicer and dump them into your canner. Fill it full of apples, then add water. I also add a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar. Cover with water. Let boil for at *least* an hour. I usually boil my apples until they are *really* soft. 

Then, save a cup or so of the apple water - I use this if my apple butter starts to get 'dry' before it turns a nice dark shade of brown. I usually leave the apples in the water and use a strainer to take out the apples and put them into my food mill. I have one of these and I have one of these. Both work great, but the automatic one is a lot easier on my arms! (a box is a huge amount of apples).

That's all there is to apple sauce. Transfer the strained apple sauce to your crock pot(put the seeds and skin in your compost!). Add cinnamon to taste, then add about 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup whole sugar and 1/4 cup agave. That is *all* the sugar I add. I also add at least 1T of pumpkin pie spice, sometimes more. Now taste the mix. If it tastes perfect? You'll likely be adding more sugar or spice later. Don't overdo spices now! It will cook down and then you'll try it again and can decide if you want to add more spice or sugar.

The key now? Is to leave the lid slightly cracked open and put it on low. It will take about two days. Maybe more. About halfway through, I sometimes add more applesauce. 

Stir it. Your house is going to smell amazing. 

But it really does take about two days. And if you think it is done? Let it cook longer! It should cook down *more* than half. Let me know how it goes. Apple butter in my world is a pretty much batch by batch experience. But once you make the applesauce and then taste the apple butter? You'll understand why it is so amazing and why all my friends hope and hope they'll get a jar for the holidays!

Good Luck and let me know how it goes!

Peace,

MaryKate

No comments: