Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Parthenon, Perfection and Readiness

55/100

Short blog tonight. I'm watching a special on restoring the Parthenon in Greece. It's a 70,000 piece 3 dimensional jigsaw puzzle. I'm fascinated by it. Turns out? That as much as we are taught that the Parthenon is perfect? It is actually an optical illusion designed to make it LOOK perfect. SO hey if the Parthenon is only an optical illusion to give the appearance of perfection? I can let go of thinking I need to have my life perfect. It's all illusion anyhow! One of the things about the restoration of the Parthenon I find amazing is that we can't put together in 30 years what it took them 9 years to build 2,000 years ago. I want to go there. Part of why I want to get healthy is because I want to go to Greece. I want to go to Africa, Italy and India as well. I do believe I will make it to all those places. I'm still struggling with adding the exercise piece to my 'healthy' living.

We've been talking at work about 'readiness'. About how we have some students who can do the intellectual work of a class, but don't have the readiness to do the homework piece, or the reading piece, or the writing piece, etc. That each class contains a series of skill sets, and that for some students, they can handle some of the skill sets, but struggle with others. And no amount of forcing them will make them ready until they are ready.

I think that is true with my exercising right now. I can try to force myself to be ready, but until I am ready? It won't matter. I'm close. I have been exercising more, but right now? It is still more than what I can do consistently.

I read about a fascinating book today called "The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite" I'm excited to read it; here is an article talking about it. It's all about how our food is full of additives that affect our brain chemicals and create cravings.


So I'm going to read it, I'll let you know what I think of it when I finish. In the meantime, I'm going to get some sleep. 


Peace,


MaryKate

No comments: